January 27, 2015.. Best. Day. Ever

It was the evening of our 11th anniversary, and we had just returned home from work.  The plan was for us to go out for dinner to celebrate our 11 wonderful years together, and have a date night.  I got dinner ready for Rob’s Dad (he lives with us), and then away we went.

As we are driving to the restaurant, I noticed that we were deviating from the typical route.  I asked Rob “Where are we going?”, to which he informed me we just had to make a quick stop.  We began to pull into the parking lot of the coffee shop where we had our very first date 11 years ago.  My stomach fluttered as it always does when Rob does something romantic.  I explained to him the coffee shop has been closed down for a couple of years now, and he said that he knew but wanted to come to where “it all began”. Then he parked and turned to me and began to speak.

“This is where it all started 11 years ago, and everyday I love you more. This has been a long time coming, and I should have done it years ago”.  At this point he began to reach into his pocket (I began having an internal dialogue..OMG is this it? Is he proposing?).  He pulled out a ring box, opened it to the perfect ring and said in the most confident tone “Will you marry me?”.  My response? Well.. it wasn’t as I had rehearsed for the past 11 years.  I responded with “Shut your mouth!”  Then a “Yes”.

The ring!!!

The ring!!!

Rob proceeded to explain that we have been planning and talking about a baby since we first got together.  Everything we have accomplished together was so that we could be ready and provide a baby with the best life and love possible.  He further explained that he knew it was important to me that we were married as well when we finally start our family.  He then said “Its time, lets find our baby”.

I began to cry.  We have built our home with a huge backyard, for our future child.  We have grown our careers to a very successful point, so we would be ready to provide our child with all of the opportunities. Along the way, we held off on starting the process because I wanted everything to be perfect for our future child.

It was then, in that moment in the vehicle, looking into Rob’s eyes that I realized everything WAS perfect.  It was time.. time for us to grow our family, and time to truly make our lives complete with a child and share the love that we have.

So begins our journey.  This blog will chronicle our journey, and eventually our lives as fathers.

About Michael

What started off as a blog about our journey to become parents, now is morphing into a parenting blog as I chronicle our lives as new parents to an incredible baby boy. I cook, craft, sew and now blog. I am the past recipient of the Future Leader of Manitoba Award, Champion For Diversity Award and #9 on the 2014 list of the 100 Most Fascinating Manitobans.
This entry was posted in All things Baby, Our Journey and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to January 27, 2015.. Best. Day. Ever

1. Jodi says:

BEAUTIFUL!

2. Jenniffer Daulby says:

I can’t wait to be an auntie!!!

3. Rishona says:

amazing!!!!

Liked by 1 person

4. Kelley says:

You are going to make amazing parents. Your child is going to be so lucky.

Liked by 1 person

5. Lisa Chambers Martin says:

Truly happy for you.

Liked by 1 person

6. Tracy Rosmus says:

I remember when the two of you started out.. You have never waivered on your love for each other and were a constant in each other lives. I know that the two of you will make wonderful parents and your child will be brought up with such love and admiration. Words cannot describe how happy I am for both of you. You set your goals high and achieved everyone of them. Thank you for being a part of my life.

Liked by 1 person

7. Big lump in my throat, Michael. Can’t wait to read about your journey. I remember talking to you at Kyle’s social about this and you had seemed to be in the process of accepting it wasn’t going to happen. I’m so happy to hear that’s not the case!

Liked by 1 person

8. Tiffany says:

Amazing!!! I’m over the moon happy for you guys!

Liked by 1 person

9. Lisa Dabrowski says:

So beautifully written. I look forward to the next passage of your journey together!

Liked by 1 person

10. Joyce Supan says:

Beautiful!! I will stay tuned for the journey you embark on together!! Having a child is a beautiful thing!!

Liked by 1 person

11. theluckcharm says:

So cute, what a great story and couple 🙂 LOVE your ring too.

Liked by 1 person